I've fallen for Unhealthy Diets & Unhealthy Exercise Regimes - have you?
Turn the pages of any magazine and you'll find a plethora of unhealthy diets on every other page. It's no wonder so many of us fall for unhealthy weight loss attempts. Walk those pharmacy shelves, and you'd assume those lost weight fast schemes are healthy - after all you find them in a pharmacy don't you? But no, that's just part of the con of the diet industry. Or read the fine print to find that along with it you have to take on the biggest loser unhealthy exercise (because it's too extreme) regime.
In fact so many of these products lead to unhealthy diets because they suppress your natural appetite and replace it with stomach-filling pills with side effects only found years later (like Ephedera - the so called miracle drug which was later banned by the FDA who had years before approved it after trials that showed how marvellous it was). So many of these products lead to unhealthy weight loss attempts by an unwitting public.
• Diets of Fast foods With McDonalds and a host of fast food joins on every other street corner, it's no wonder that unhealthy diets have been on the increase for years. Their foods contain way too much salt, sugar and bad fats. The more we eat of them the more we can weight. But with their powerful food lobbyists, the only hope we have as consumers is to stand up and demand better.
• Slimming shakes. I've lost track of how many of these I tried. The usually tasted bloomin awful and I constantly felt deprived. No wonder, you can't fool your natural body for long. Diet shakes don't count as real food and it's only a matter of time before your body revolts.
• Diet Foods. I've no idea how much money I've wasted on so called diet food. Highly touted, in their glossy packaging, some of them hardly resembling food - they are part of unhealthy dieting. And the food lies that we're sold don't help either. What we really need to do is to be green eating and eating with joy.
• Machine slimming. Yes I hate to admit that I did once try machine slimming. It hurt like hell and shocked the living daylights out of my cells so that my cellular water left those areas long enough for the measurements to look good. But being only a water weight shift - not surprisingly, it was soon back.
• Slimming belt. Now this was a real winner - this slimming belt would alledgedly wobble the fat away. Well it really did a great job of doing the wobbling half of the equation. But when it came to the 'away' half.... um... I think not. But I suppose on the plus side at least that wasn't unhealthy exercise attempt like that time I took up....
• Jogging in a plastic suit the blazing sun in a plastic. Go figure! But then that's the kind of unhealthy weight attempt people who have exercise bulimia. They really do believe in that silly 'no pain, no gain' principle.
• Slimming wrap..... yes, I know, I know. All it did was make me think suffocation was preferable. As you can see I was a sucker for every conceivable fat-loss-for-idiots-plan around.
• Hypnosis tapes. Well at least these did me no harm, so they weren't an unhealthy diet, and they were great for taking a nap.
But yay there were some unhealthy diets I didn't fall for
So ok - I fell for some real unhealthy diets and unhealthy exercise programs and I very successfully managed to diet myself fatter but at least I was smart enough to avoid taking up smoking to lose weight, taking speed to lose weight, drinking to lose weight or other recreational drugs in unhealthy attempts to lose weight.
or going to diet doctors for their so-called weight loss injections. Nor did I ever resort to weight loss surgery,although I've heard the tragic stories of some who have.
But that doesn't mean I haven't experienced those kinds of unhealthy weight loss attempts through clients and friends who have. As a therapist, who saw mainly clients with eating disorders I've been priviledged to some pretty awful stories about what weight loss methods people try and how it changes their lives and I've yet to hear a positive story about these.
Instead I did did witness heart-ache and tears of despair. And I recently heard from a lady who very proudly told me she has just hauled herself and her 9-year old daughter (yes- 9!) to a slimming doctor for weight loss injections (my heart simply bleeds). There are vastly better ways to deal with childhood obesity
If you find the ditch-diets-live-light website useful, please recommend it to your friends.
Best Weight Products
Your opinion for a free e.course
Your Story/Poem & Feedback
Our community & newsletter
Love this page - please help by using the buttons below to Stumble or Buzz it up! And please let me know you buzzed it up by mailing me here and I'll send you my complimentary THANK YOU e.course. You'll love it!
Share your Thoughts and Ideas?
Everyone has an opinion- and yours matters: What do you like/dislike/agree with/disagree with about what you've read? What other information would you like to see more of? What would you like us to know?
" of comments have already been left on our site. Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below."
I got the link to your website from the SBI website forum and decided to take a peek. Excellent information here. I especially like the page about sleep and weight , as well as the info on international weight research . Keep up the good work. :)
Catherine - New Hampshire,USA
I am a university-bound teenager from the United States. Two years ago I was diagnosed with anorexia, a battle that eventually found me in the hospital. Dieting has robbed me of too much time. I found this website by chance. I've spent a lot of time browsing through articles and reading stories. It has changed my attitude and made me want to be MY ideal weight, not someone else's. Thank you to all the contributors and readers of Mind over Fatter. I deeply appreciate everything you do.(abridged by Cari)
Zoe - United States